Turmeric Tea is a warm, spicy and healthy detox drink similar to golden milk with vibrant yellow color. It is usually made with fresh turmeric root, ginger, peppercorn, lemon, and honey. The recipe I have shared here shows you how to make Turmeric Tea with easy step-by-step instructions for you to try and enjoy at home.
I have also shared a detailed video of this recipe to make the cooking process simple. This homemade Turmeric Tea is healthy, caffeine-free drink and has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. It is one of the best drinks to enjoy on cold winter days to keep yourself warm and boost your overall immunity. Apart from that, turmeric tea has a lot of other healthy benefits as well.
What is Turmeric Tea?
Turmeric Tea is a healthy vibrant yellow-colored drink made with fresh turmeric root. Other ingredients like ginger, peppercorn, lemon juice, and honey are also added to enhance the taste and flavor of the tea. These ingredients are also loaded with potential health benefits just like turmeric.
The turmeric root is also called golden spice is popular in the Asian continent especially in Indian medicine called Ayurveda. This golden spice is loaded with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help in relieving so many health ailments.
According to Indian folk medicine, turmeric helps in improving digestion, bloating, regulating menstruation, dissolving gallstones, and strengthening overall energy to the body. Not only that the anti-bacterial properties in turmeric helps to heal cuts, burns, and bruises.
So here I have shared the healthy Turmeric Tea which has a lot of advantages when it comes to our overall health. This is not only a healthy but also an easy-to-make drink that even beginners can try at home. And all you need is under 15 minutes to make this beneficial drink.
The ingredients you will need to make this Turmeric Tea are basic and you may find them easily at most grocery stores around. So let’s see what we need to make this tea below.
- Turmeric – Fresh turmeric root gives deep flavor and it is also safe without any adulteration. But if fresh root is not avilable you can also use good quality turmeric powder to achieve similar results
- Ginger – It gives a fresh and spicy tate to your drink
- Lemon – Delivers a citrusy flavor and also a good source of Vitamin C
- Peppercorn – I have used crushed peppercorn which helps in absorbing the curcumin from turmeric
- Honey – Gives you the perfect sweetness with added anti-inflammatory and healing properties. Even though I have used honey, you can also use maple syrup, coconut sugar or other vegan-friendly sweeteners
How to make Turmeric Tea?
The recipe I have shared here is a homemade Turmeric Tea with ginger, lemon, and peppercorns. I have used fresh turmeric root to make this tea and you can also fresh good quality turmeric powder if that’s handy to you.
Following are the high-level instructions to make this drink but for detailed step-by-step instructions with photo and video, please check out the recipe card below.
- Boil the water – In a saucepan with medium heat, pour water and bring it to boil
- Add in the ingredients – Now add the turmeric, ginger, crushed peppercorn, and lemon slices
- Brew the tea – Simmer the heat, close the pan with its lid and brew it for 5 minutes
- Remove – Now open the lid and remove the turmeric tea from the heat
- Filter – Filter the Turmeric Tea into a serving glass and add honey or maple syrup. Now the comforting Turmeric Tea is ready for you to taste and enjoy
- Serve – Enjoy this healthy drink on cold winter days to keep yourself warm, or as a detox drink in the morning to enjoy its health benefits. You can also consume this drink for weight loss, or soothe a cold, cough, and itchy throat
- For Deep Flavor and Taste – Using fresh turmeric and ginger root gives you the deep flavor and taste to your drink
- For Citrusy Flavor – I have used 2 slices of lemon here to achieve a zesty flavor to my drink but you can also use orange slices to achieve similar flavor and tatse
- Spice – Adding crushed pepeprcorns gives you the mild warmness to your drink and you also add cinnamon for extra spicness. These two ingredients not only adds some warmness but also they are filled with healthy benefits
- Sweetner – I have added honey here which also has a good anti-inflammatory property and naturally sweetens your tea. But you can also use maple syrup or other plant based sweetners for a vegan-friendly drink
- Serving – This healthy homemade Turmeric Tea is perfect to enjoy on any time of the day and also to soothe your itchy throat, cold, cough especially before going to bed
Turmeric Tea Benefits
Is Turmeric Tea good for your health? What are the benefits of Turmeric Tea? These are the questions we often get into our minds. According to the NCBI, the following are the potential health benefits of curcumin in human health.
- Helps in chronic Neurological disease like Alzhemeier, Parkinson’s disease, crebral phalsy and other age related neurodegeneration
- Anti-inflammatory property in turmeric helps in lowering the risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties are shown as potential health benefits with diabetes, cancer, allergy, asthma and bronchitis
According to NIHCurcumin helps in auto-immune diseases like,
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus and much more..
According to Healthline, curcumin may also help in weight loss. But they say they need more human research to recommend it for weight loss.
According to WebMD, Turmeric has no potential side effects. But you may experience stomach upset, nausea, dizziness, or diarrhea if you consume it at higher doses.
The Turmeric Tea that I have shared here contains 42 calories per serving and it is an estimation by the nutrition calculator. The calorie count may change if you change or alter any of the ingredients. You can also find the detailed nutrition information in the recipe card below.
You can make this refreshing tea in bulk and can store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. But make sure to filter the tea before storing it and reheat it to the desired temperature before enjoying it again.
You can serve this tea first thing in the morning before breakfast to enjoy its full benefits, or before going to bed to soothe your body for a good night’s sleep. But you can also enjoy it at any time of the day.
You could also find tea recipes below and more at healthy drinks and detox drinks.
Turmeric Tea Recipe video
I have also shared a detailed video of this Turmeric Tea Recipe below that I hope will help you to make a healthy drink at home. And you could also find this recipe in a story format.
3 tbsp Fresh Turmeric Root, grated
1½ tbsp Fresh Ginger Root, chopped
1 tsp Peppercorn, crushed
2 slice Lemon
1 tsp Honey
- For Deep Flavor and Taste – Using fresh turmeric and ginger root gives you the deep flavor and taste of your drink
- For Citrusy Flavor – I have used 2 slices of lemon here to achieve a zesty flavor to my drink but you can also use orange slices to achieve a similar flavor and taste
- Spice – Adding crushed peppercorns gives you mild warmness to your drink and you also add cinnamon for extra spiciness. These two ingredients not only adds some warmness but also they are filled with healthy benefits
- Sweetener – I have added honey here which also has a good anti-inflammatory property and naturally sweetens your tea. But you can also use maple syrup or other plant-based sweeteners for a vegan-friendly drink
- Serving – This healthy homemade Turmeric Tea is perfect to enjoy at any time of the day and also to soothe your itchy throat, cold, cough especially before going to bed
Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 42Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
Disclaimer: Nutrition information comes from third-party apps and calculators. The information is purely an estimate and provided for information purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Turmeric Tea is a healthy vibrant yellow-colored drink made with fresh turmeric root. Other ingredients like ginger, peppercorn, lemon juice, and honey are also added to enhance the taste and flavor of the tea. It is one of the best drinks to soothe and heal your body and can enjoy at any time of the day.
Turmeric Tea is a healthy drink it is good for neurological disease, cardiovascular disease, cancer, asthma, cold cough, and many other ailments.
Yes, you can make it without ginger but adding ginger gives additional health benefits like relieving indigestion, morning sickness, nausea, weight loss, etc.
Turmeric Tea can be consumed at any time of the day but you can serve it first thing in the morning to enjoy it is full health benefits or an hour before going to bed which soothes your body.
The Turmeric Tea that I have shared here contains 42 calories per serving and it is an estimation by the nutrition calculator. The calorie count may change if you change or alter any of the ingredients. You can also find the detailed nutrition information in the recipe card above.
No, this tea does not contain caffeine in it and the ingredients used to make this recipe are free from caffeine and hence as the tea.
I hope you enjoyed the recipe that I have shared here and I would love to hear from you on how it turned out for you. Please let me know.
If you have any other questions, feel free to post them in the comment section below and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.